If those factory workers in France all carried concealed...

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Re: If those factory workers in France all carried concealed

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:25 am

Seth wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Seth wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:A gunfight in a gas-bottling plant. What could possibly go wrong? :tea:
The same thing that went wrong this time. However, if the plant workers were armed, that might NOT have happened because the attackers might have been neutralized at the fence, before they gained access. Even a competent armed guard could do that...if there was such a thing in France.
It was one attacker and he was a known delivery driver and was waved through the factory gates. Apart from that... :tea:
Still, only he had a gun.
No. He didn't! How wrong would you like to be - on a scale of 1 to 10? Hint: you have already reached 13! :nono:
At around 09:30 CEST (07:30 UTC) on 26 June 2015, an Islamist delivery driver gained entrance to the grounds of an Air Products factory in Saint-Quentin-Fallavier near the city of Lyon in a van, with his dead 54-year old boss inside the van. The driver had made regular visits to the factory, so was known to employees at the site. He placed his boss' decapitated head on a fence railing, and planted two Jihadist flag banners alongside it. The head had a cloth thrown over it with the Shahada written on it, saying, "There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is his prophet." The headless body and a knife were found on the ground nearby. The driver attempted to blow up the factory by ramming several gas cylinders, causing an explosion. Two other people were injured in the process. Video surveillance footage showed that the perpetrator also tried to open canisters containing flammable chemicals before being subdued minutes later. He shouted "Allahu Akhbar" as he met and was overpowered by firefighters responding to the scene. The perpetrator had also photographed himself with the slain victim and sent the image to at least one other person via WhatsApp to a French man who joined ISIL.
I would stop digging at this point, were I you. :tea:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:34 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Seth wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Seth wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:A gunfight in a gas-bottling plant. What could possibly go wrong? :tea:
The same thing that went wrong this time. However, if the plant workers were armed, that might NOT have happened because the attackers might have been neutralized at the fence, before they gained access. Even a competent armed guard could do that...if there was such a thing in France.
It was one attacker and he was a known delivery driver and was waved through the factory gates. Apart from that... :tea:
Still, only he had a gun.
No. He didn't! How wrong would you like to be - on a scale of 1 to 10? Hint: you have already reached 13! :nono:
At around 09:30 CEST (07:30 UTC) on 26 June 2015, an Islamist delivery driver gained entrance to the grounds of an Air Products factory in Saint-Quentin-Fallavier near the city of Lyon in a van, with his dead 54-year old boss inside the van. The driver had made regular visits to the factory, so was known to employees at the site. He placed his boss' decapitated head on a fence railing, and planted two Jihadist flag banners alongside it. The head had a cloth thrown over it with the Shahada written on it, saying, "There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is his prophet." The headless body and a knife were found on the ground nearby. The driver attempted to blow up the factory by ramming several gas cylinders, causing an explosion. Two other people were injured in the process. Video surveillance footage showed that the perpetrator also tried to open canisters containing flammable chemicals before being subdued minutes later. He shouted "Allahu Akhbar" as he met and was overpowered by firefighters responding to the scene. The perpetrator had also photographed himself with the slain victim and sent the image to at least one other person via WhatsApp to a French man who joined ISIL.
I would stop digging at this point, were I you. :tea:
Ah, my mistake, he didn't have a gun, he had a knife and another deadly weapon, both of which could have easily been defeated by even one other person with a gun. Thanks for pointing that out, and thanks for demonstrating that guns are useful for self defense against weapons other than guns.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:41 pm

Seth wrote:Ah, my mistake, he didn't have a gun, he had a knife and another deadly weapon, both of which could have easily been defeated by even one other person with a gun. Thanks for pointing that out, and thanks for demonstrating that guns are useful for self defense against weapons other than guns.
He didn't use the knife on anyone at the factory. He killed his boss with it before travelling there. Had the guys on the gate been armed, they would still have recognised him as a delivery driver that came every day and waved him through! :roll:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:46 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Seth wrote:Ah, my mistake, he didn't have a gun, he had a knife and another deadly weapon, both of which could have easily been defeated by even one other person with a gun. Thanks for pointing that out, and thanks for demonstrating that guns are useful for self defense against weapons other than guns.
He didn't use the knife on anyone at the factory. He killed his boss with it before travelling there.
And had his boss had a concealed handgun, he might be alive today.
Had the guys on the gate been armed, they would still have recognised him as a delivery driver that came every day and waved him through! :roll:
Then it would have been bad tactical planning on the part of the plant security forces. However, if they had been armed and doing their jobs correctly, he never would have gained access to the plant. And even if he did, firefighters would not have had to risk nearly so much physically overwhelming him when someone in the plant took the initiative to identify him as a terrorist threat and shoot him dead.

You simply cannot deny that things might have gone differently had any or all of the people he encountered been armed for self defense. They weren't, and as a result his boss is dead and others were unnecessarily put at risk.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:57 pm

Seth wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
He didn't use the knife on anyone at the factory. He killed his boss with it before travelling there.
And had his boss had a concealed handgun, he might be alive today.
Had the guys on the gate been armed, they would still have recognised him as a delivery driver that came every day and waved him through! :roll:
Then it would have been bad tactical planning on the part of the plant security forces. However, if they had been armed and doing their jobs correctly, he never would have gained access to the plant. And even if he did, firefighters would not have had to risk nearly so much physically overwhelming him when someone in the plant took the initiative to identify him as a terrorist threat and shoot him dead.

You simply cannot deny that things might have gone differently had any or all of the people he encountered been armed for self defense. They weren't, and as a result his boss is dead and others were unnecessarily put at risk.
Of course things would have gone differently. There is just no way of knowing whether that would have been for the better or worse. Your rosy world where guns make everything better simply doesn't exist. Had he been expecting a likely armed response, he would no doubt have been armed too - and he would have had the advantage of knowing in advance that he was a threat that day. It would have been far more likely that the security guards found themselves on the wrong end of a bullet.

You are missing the big picture here. He gained access through establishing a credible front as a genuine delivery driver. His papers and reason for being there were in order. The guards had no reason to suspect him, no reason to search his van and certainly no reason to open fire! He intended to die in a conflagration when he rammed the van into gas containers - that he didn't is down to his incompetence.
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:00 pm

What they gonna conceal? A baguette? Some Camembert?
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:07 pm

laklak wrote:What they gonna conceal? A baguette? Some Camembert?
You can't conceal Camembert. Especially not in summer!
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:39 pm

Sorry, fresh out. The cat lapped it up.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote: Of course things would have gone differently.

Well, there you go...

There is just no way of knowing whether that would have been for the better or worse.
And it would have been "worse" how, exactly?
Your rosy world where guns make everything better simply doesn't exist.

Except I've never made that claim.
Had he been expecting a likely armed response, he would no doubt have been armed too
My point exactly. He got to do whatever the fuck he wanted precisely because he knew nobody would have a gun with which to put an end to him immediately. The Charlie Hebdo killers knew exactly the same thing.
- and he would have had the advantage of knowing in advance that he was a threat that day.
Probably. Just as the Charlie Hebdo killers did.

It would have been far more likely that the security guards found themselves on the wrong end of a bullet.
In an armed society there are always more armed law-abiding citizens than there are armed criminals. While one security guard might have been shot, or two, or three, or four, as in the Charlie Hebdo attack, the chances that the attack will be successful or will be able to continue during escape, as in the Charlie Hebdo attack, drops substantially the more armed non-terrorists there are in the immediate area. Every gun in the hands of a law-abiding citizen willing to take action to stop such attacks improves the odds of preventing the attack and improves the odds of reducing the body count.
You are missing the big picture here.

No, you are.
He gained access through establishing a credible front as a genuine delivery driver. His papers and reason for being there were in order.
So what?
The guards had no reason to suspect him, no reason to search his van and certainly no reason to open fire!
Poor tactical and strategic decision making by the administration and the guards does not diminish the benefits of armed persons outnumbering armed attackers.
He intended to die in a conflagration when he rammed the van into gas containers - that he didn't is down to his incompetence.
Indeed. And had armed guards at a critical facility been properly trained and armed, and had the security protocols been properly designed and followed, he never would have made it through the gate, and if he did he wouldn't have made it 50 meters inside the gate. And had his first victim been armed, he might not have made it anywhere near the plant.

There's a reason that Arab terrorists don't try to shoot up schools in Israel anymore. It's because civilians lawfully armed with machine guns and pistols volunteer to guard schools and they kill anybody who tries to attack a school.

You'd think the government and owners of a critical factory would be at least as smart as them iggorant Joos. Evidently the French are even more stupid than I thought they were.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:50 pm

TL;DR

I do hope you enjoyed wasting your time.

By the way, you're wrong. :tea:
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:35 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:TL;DR

No I'm not, and it's not a waste to rebut liberal nitwittery.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:36 am

Seth wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:TL;DR

No I'm not, and it's not a waste to rebut liberal nitwittery.
TL;DR

...still wrong...
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur