We must ban automobiles, they are weapons of terror!

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

We must ban automobiles, they are weapons of terror!

Post by Seth » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:41 am

World
Three Dead, 34 Injured After Man Plows SUV Into Crowd in Austria
Jun. 20, 2015 5:46pm Dave Urbanski
Shares

Editor’s Note:

Story by the Associated Press; curated by Dave Urbanski

VIENNA (AP) — A man apparently distraught over personal issues drove his SUV into a crowd in Austria’s second largest city Saturday, killing a 4-year old and two adults, officials said.
Image source: Sky News

Image source: Sky News

Police in the city of Graz said 34 others were injured, with six victims, including two children, in serious condition. They said there were no indications of a terrorist attack, and the suspect was apparently distressed over personal problems when he targeted his victims.

The governor of Styria province, Hermann Schuetzenhoefer, described the suspect as a 26-year-old Austrian truck driver who was “mentally disoriented” and acting alone. He was arrested shortly after the incident.

Three dead and more than 30 injured in Austria as car ploughs through crowd in central #Graz http://t.co/rNGC6S4TkM pic.twitter.com/lc2tDaFTJO

— BBC Breaking News (@BBCBreaking) June 20, 2015

Police commander Josef Klamminger told reporters that the man had been under a restraining order keeping him from the home of his wife and two children since a domestic violence report against him was filed last month. He was being psychologically evaluated after his arrest.

State broadcaster ORF cited unnamed witnesses as saying the man apparently drove his vehicle at high speed into the crowd at random, sending several people crashing into the windshield and flying over the vehicle.

About 60 ambulances converged on the scene and the Austrian auto club sent four helicopters to bring the victims to hospitals. Witnesses quoted by Austrian media said they saw at least two bodies covered with blankets lying on a cordoned-off section of pavement.

By early evening, dozens of floral bouquets and lit candles were placed at the site. Mayor Siegfried Nagl ordered black flags of mourning flown from all municipal buildings and cancelled all street fests and other city events.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: We must ban automobiles, they are weapons of terror!

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:52 am

Their primary purpose isn't to kill. [/thread]
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:09 am

rEvolutionist wrote:Their primary purpose isn't to kill. [/thread]
What does that have to do with anything, not that it's in the least bit true?

The primary purpose of a gun is to expel a projectile at a specified speed in a specific direction on command, and nothing else.

Anything that might be done with that projectile is decided by the human being operating the device, just as it was with the car (and the knife) in this case.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:17 am

Guns were invented and are still used widely to kill people. Cars were invented and are still widely used to transport people. [/thread]
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:40 am

"Police in the city of Graz . . . . . said there were no indications of a terrorist attack, "
[/thread].
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:34 pm

One man's terrorist is another man's Asian driver.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:46 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:Guns were invented and are still used widely to kill people. Cars were invented and are still widely used to transport people. [/thread]
So what? Some people need to be killed. If I have legal authority to kill someone it doesn't matter if I use a car or a gun, or a baseball bat. Likewise, if I do not have legal authority to kill someone, it doesn't matter if I use a car, a gun or a baseball bat, the intended victim retains the absolute right to use any any weapon, including a car, a gun or a baseball bat to thwart my illegal attack.

Inanimate objects like guns, cars and baseball bats do not have motive or intent, nor do they inherently contain moral judgment. They are inanimate objects that can be used for good or ill depending on the person using them.

Your argument is a ridiculous attempt to demonize and vilify an object as an irrational substitute for rational thought and argumentation.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:47 pm

mistermack wrote:"Police in the city of Graz . . . . . said there were no indications of a terrorist attack, "
[/thread].
And you unquestioningly believe what both the police and the press tell you why, exactly? Besides, I'm quite sure that the victims in the area were quite terrified, and it's pretty clear that the perp intended to terrify them as well as kill them. That he may not have done so for political reasons is utterly irrelevant.

Blind groper
About me: From New Zealand

Post by Blind groper » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:16 pm

The tool used in an attack does matter. As I have quoted before, only 1 in 400 stabbings is lethal, while 1 in 7 bullets fired is lethal.

To get the best chance to survive, better to be attacked with a knife, or a car, than a gun. You are far more likely to live.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:56 pm

Blind groper wrote:The tool used in an attack does matter. As I have quoted before, only 1 in 400 stabbings is lethal, while 1 in 7 bullets fired is lethal.

To get the best chance to survive, better to be attacked with a knife, or a car, than a gun. You are far more likely to live.
I dispute your factoid I'm afraid. The number of lethal hits compared to the number of rounds fired is much, much smaller than you suggest. This also discounts the degree of permanent disfigurement and injury occasioned by both knives and cars, which are of substantial interest.

Then again when attacked with any of the above your best defense is usually a gun. Which is rather the point.

Blind groper
About me: From New Zealand

Post by Blind groper » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:59 am

The point you were making, Seth, is that a car is also a weapon. While that is true, it is nowhere nearly as lethal a weapon as a gun. It is also used as a deliberate tool for murder far less often.

Ian
Mr Incredible

Post by Ian » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:21 am

Seth is never, ever, ever, ever, ever going to listen to reason, guys. It's a lost cause. Why bother?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:55 am

[/thread]

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:23 am

He does realise that Uber will collapse, doesn't he? :hehe:

(unless it moves to tandem bikes - how's the leg fitness, Seth?)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:38 am

Blind groper wrote:The point you were making, Seth, is that a car is also a weapon. While that is true, it is nowhere nearly as lethal a weapon as a gun. It is also used as a deliberate tool for murder far less often.
It's just as lethal as any other lethal weapon when it's used lethally, or had that fact escaped you?

Not that what you say is particularly true because automobiles are in fact a larger source of homicide in the US than guns are, but what does the rate of use of the inanimate object have to do with an object's potential lethality? The individual killed by the object is just as dead either way.

Nice try with the "deliberate tool of murder" pettifoggery though...