"I was completely wrong..."

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

"I was completely wrong..."

Post by Seth » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:29 pm

Government
Former Commander of Md. Gun Licensing Thought Concealed Carry Would Be ‘Scary’ — but Listen to What He’s Now Telling Senate
Mar. 16, 2015 7:22pm Jason Howerton
Shares

Speaking before the Maryland Senate last week, a retired Maryland State Police officer and former commander of the Maryland State Police Licensing Division admitted that he once thought the prospect of many residents having concealed carry permits was “scary.” However, as he educated himself about gun owners, his opinion on concealed carry changed.

As the head of the Maryland State Police Licensing Division, Jack McCauley decided what would qualify as a “good and substantial” reason to obtain a handgun permit on a case by case basis. Maryland is a “may issue” state — meaning the ultimate decision on whether to issue a concealed carry permit is left to a government official.
(YouTube)

(YouTube)

During his remarks to legislators, McCauley described his past feelings towards “Second Amendment activists” and pro-gun advocates:

“These crazy people, these Second Amendment activists, they’re all going to want these, they’re trophies. They’re all going to want these permits, it’s going to be scary. Dangerous people are going to be getting guns. Just any Joe citizen is going to get a gun.”

However, McCauley said he started doing “research” and speaking with gun rights groups about reforming the “may issue” concealed carry legislation in Maryland.

“When I met them, they schooled me,” McCauley said of one specific gun rights group, AGC Gun Club. “They not only schooled me — they embarrassed me. They humbled me. I was wrong. I was completely wrong.”

Knowing that he had spent much of his career as a police officer worried that there would be “blood in the streets” if gun restrictions were loosened, the veteran cop made it his mission to thoroughly investigate the issue.

“When I say I studied it, I mean I slept two hours a night studying it,” he added. “And I found out some staggering information about handgun permits and what was going on. My fears were not justified.”

McCauley said there are over 11 million licensed handgun permit holders in the United States. According to a 10-year study on 2.5 million permit holders, just 168 people had their permit revoked for an offense involving a firearm, he explained. Most of the time, he added, the offense was carrying a firearm into a prohibited zone.

When he tried to discredit the study, McCauley said he failed. Since retiring, he has been vocal as a gun rights activist on the “may issue” law in Maryland.

Watch as McCauley explains why he feels the “good and substantial” guidelines on concealed carry permits in Maryland are a “nightmare” in his remarks below:

Maryland is currently considering a bill would clarify that “self-defense can qualify as a good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun for purposes of the issuance by the Secretary of State Police of a permit to carry, wear, or transport a handgun.”
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: "I was completely wrong..."

Post by JimC » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:49 pm

I opened this thread with high hopes.

Which were then dashed... :(
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:40 am

JimC wrote:I opened this thread with high hopes.

Which were then dashed... :(
I saw your response with high hopes... which were also dashed - moving it to the gun club myself... :tea:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:53 am

:hehe:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

hackenslash
Fundie Baiter...errr. Fun Debater
About me: I've got a little black book with my poems in...

Post by hackenslash » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:06 am

Oh, look. An opinion.
Dogma is the death of the intellect

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:59 am

I'm so disappointed by this thread. I think I'll just shoot the fuck out of it! Where's my gnu!