Only in America

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Re: Only in America

Post by Seabass » Fri May 18, 2018 5:04 pm

Another shooting. And still, hordes of morons will vote Republican.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri May 18, 2018 5:14 pm

True

But there is hope. Texas has been moving to the left for a while now, and I've even heard talk that we could become relevant soon! Can you imagine a blue Texas? --holy shit-- :cheer:

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Fri May 18, 2018 5:23 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 5:14 pm
Can you imagine a blue Texas?
Just thinking about it gives me a hardon. I suspect there's probably still at least a decade before that happens though. On a related note, a lot of Puerto Ricans have moved to Florida since Maria. They are likely to vote Democrat...
Last edited by Seabass on Fri May 18, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri May 18, 2018 5:26 pm

Dedicated thread for most recent tragedy: http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 22&t=53803
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sat May 19, 2018 2:27 pm

Stuff from NYTimes
1 good guys with guns are useleess.
It is true that guns are occasionally used to stop violence. But contrary to what the National Rifle Association suggests, this is rare. One study by the Violence Policy Center found that in 2012 there were 259 justifiable homicides by a private citizen using a firearm.
But the problem is that lax laws too often make it easy not only for good guys to get guns, but also for bad guys to get guns. The evidence is overwhelming that overall more guns and more relaxed gun laws lead to more violent deaths and injuries. One study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine found that a gun in the house was associated with an increased risk of a gun death, particularly by suicide but also apparently by homicide.

In 2015, Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas tweeted that he was “embarrassed” that his state was ranked second (behind California) in requests to buy new guns, albeit still with one million requests. “Let’s pick up the pace Texans,” he wrote. Abbott apparently believes, along with the N.R.A., that more guns make a society more safe, but statistics dispute that. Abbott should look at those charts.
Tightening Gun Laws Lowered
Firearm Homicide Rates
For skeptics who think that gun laws don’t make a difference, consider what happened in two states, Missouri and Connecticut. In 1995, Connecticut tightened licensing laws, while in 2007 Missouri eased gun laws.

The upshot? After tightening gun laws, firearm homicide rates dropped 40 percent in Connecticut. And after Missouri eased gun laws, gun homicide rates rose 25 percent.

3 gun owners do not mind gun laws, as most of them would still get nearly all the guns

4 Training
The Right Type of Training
Could Go a Long Way
One approach that could reduce the abuse of guns is better training. As a 13-year-old farm boy in Oregon, I attended a N.R.A. gun safety class (which came with a one-year membership to the N.R.A., making me an N.R.A. alum who despises what that organization has become). These classes can be very useful, and audits found that more than 80 percent cover such matters as checking the gun to see if it’s loaded, keeping one’s finger off the trigger until ready to fire and being certain of the target.

Yet the audits also suggest that trainers are more likely to advocate for the N.R.A. or for carrying guns than for, say, safe storage. This is a missed opportunity, for all classes should cover the risks of guns and alcohol, the risks of abuse with suicide and domestic violence, the need for safe storage, and so on. Here’s what researchers found that the gun classes they audited actually covered...
(Table of issues. Trainers mainly promoted owning guns rather than safe storage)
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... eft-region
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed May 23, 2018 11:47 am

BILLINGS, MT—Finding himself increasingly uncertain as to the purpose of his substantial cache of military-grade firearms, Billings resident Greg Carnes admitted Tuesday that he was unable to remember whether the 20 rifles he’d stockpiled were meant to aid in armed rebellion against the government or prevent the same. “I’m certain I got these guns for a patriotic purpose, and I know that I held strong feelings about that purpose at the time. I just wish I could remember exactly what it was,” said Carnes, opening his gun safe to inspect enough assault rifles to either outfit or destroy a small platoon in the hopes that doing so might jog his memory as to exactly why he was willing to go out in a blaze of gunfire and glory. “I mean, when Obama was president, they were for sure so I could overthrow the government. But now, I feel like it might be to defend it? Man, I sure don’t know. I got that ‘Don’t Tread On Me’ flag on my truck and all, but I can’t remember who that’s talking about either.” Carnes added that he was tentatively optimistic he could deduce the reason for his arms stockpile by flipping through his 6,000-page manifesto.

It’s from The Onion but they misspelled Montana as MO

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 23, 2018 11:52 am

Parents sue to evict 30-year old son who refuses to move out:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/n ... 76059.html
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed May 23, 2018 6:30 pm

Blimey :shock:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed May 23, 2018 7:10 pm

yikes, I know people in their 40s or early 50s who're still living with mom and pop
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed May 23, 2018 7:30 pm

I saw something the other day about a woman who married a section of the Golden Gate bridge.

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed May 23, 2018 8:52 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:30 pm
I saw something the other day about a woman who married a section of the Golden Gate bridge.
If I wasn't already married I might propose to a Juniper bush... :td:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Fri May 25, 2018 2:14 am

Finally they got one. Score is still evil doers to good guy with gun of 100 000 to 1
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/05/24/us/okl ... index.html

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Fri May 25, 2018 10:45 pm

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:16 pm

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:34 pm

I thought that Idiocracy was about the far future. :ddpan:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?