Only in America

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Only in America

Post by JimC » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:36 am

Live by the shotgun, die by the shotgun...

(he may figure in the Darwin Awards...)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:56 pm

Well hell, gotta protect all that meth.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:18 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:58 pm

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak

Post by laklak » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:18 pm

Remember, kids
Attachments
duck and cover.gif
duck and cover.gif (59.75 KiB) Viewed 3297 times

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:21 pm

You guys didn't have school shootings like the kids today do. The first one I can remember is Columbine, and that was what, the 90s?

I'm sure they happened. There was that wacko in Texas who shot kids from the tower and a few others. But now they're a thing.

You're ass getting bombed was never a thing. You've got propaganda, they've got loads of examples.

laklak

Post by laklak » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:27 pm

So what are we supposed to do about the migrant "caravan", anyway? There's approximately 4000 of them, and they've swarmed the Guatemala / Mexico border and are headed north. Don't know what Mexico is going to do about it, but they're not as civilized about illegal immigrants as we are. Separating kids and sticking everybody in a camp with electricity and sanitation would be a fucking luxury in southern Mexico. What are we supposed to do if they make it to the Rio Grande? If we just let them in there will be 10,000 tomorrow, 20,000 next week. There's an endless supply down there. If we don't let them in we're hideous racist anti-human monsters. Damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Honestly, with no political axe to grind here, what the fuck are we supposed to do?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:31 pm

Annex Mexico. :dunno:

I don't know why they should be allowed to sit and watch. It reeks of politics to me. Start helping, or we step in and do it for you.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:34 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:19 am
I done blowed my arm off.

He set a trap with a shotgun at his backdoor and then forgot about it. :nono:
Um... OK... did that dude just admit to setting a man-trap? What an idiot!

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:52 pm

laklak wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:27 pm
If we don't let them in we're hideous racist anti-human monsters.
No we're not. No one has a problem with secure borders. Contrary to Coitoian hyperbole, there is no "open borders crowd". There's a lot of middle ground between open borders and Trump's cruelty. The hard part is getting 320 million to agree on something.

Of course the real solution to this problem would be to end the friggin' War On Drugs, but that won't happen so long as Republicans exist.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

laklak

Post by laklak » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:55 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:31 pm
Annex Mexico. :dunno:

I don't know why they should be allowed to sit and watch. It reeks of politics to me. Start helping, or we step in and do it for you.
Didn't we try that once?

I feel for the poor bastards, they live in a shithole of epic proportions, but does that make it our problem, or even the Mexican's problem? At some point people need to sort out their own shit, or ask for Unk Sam's help to sort out their shit, but that comes with a big fucking price tag and usually involve picking bananas for 11 cents an hour and a lot of slimy sex tourists.

The Mexican response hasn't been the most gentle, so far, they just sicced the Federales on them. They don't want them in Mexico any more than we want them here.

Nukes?

laklak

Post by laklak » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:58 pm

Seabass wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:52 pm

Of course the real solution to this problem would be to end the friggin' War On Drugs, but that won't happen so long as Republicans exist.
100% agreement. But that doesn't do anything for the thousands coming across now. If the Mexicans don't kick them back they'll be here within a couple of weeks, and I don't think The Donald is going to let them in.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:00 pm

No. The shit-holeyness of a country is the problem of the residents of that country. They need to take responsibility for their shithole and take measures to improve it. Not put their shit in a backpack and start hiking up to the border of the land of plenty. Am I right?

laklak

Post by laklak » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:28 pm

One might think so, but evidently it's our fault. Not that we're blameless, WoD and United Fruit and all that, Monroe Doctrine, Yankee Go Home. But lets say we end the WoD tomorrow, what happens then? There's still a demand, there's still a supply, it ain't gonna change the internal politics of Bolivia or Honduras or Mexico, the cartels aren't just going to fold up shop. The corrupt governments aren't going to stop taking bribes or murdering the opposition. That goes for left and right wing governments, that former Darling of the U.S. Left, Daniel Ortega, turned out to be just as bloodthirsty as Somoza.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:00 pm

The problem wouldn't sort itself out overnight, but the situation would improve with time as it did with alcohol prohibition.