Only in America

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: Only in America

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:37 am

Imagine seeing the guy next to you as a dangerous armed lunatic even as you are literally rioting and with armed peers willing to let off random shots.

How blinkered can a person get?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:55 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:34 am
This is why it's important to understand the actors involved and what they were doing so you can avoid such grotesque misrepresentations.
Why grotesque? A criminal past does not make someone incapable of being heroic.

You are really doing the "blame the victim" thing here...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:14 am

You're doing the gaslighting thing here. You've now invented a hero narrative absent any evidence and would like me to ignore both what we know they did, what they were all doing, and what their past might mean for their involvement.

No thanks. I'm not going to ignore the evidence and what I know about life to help you out here. You can either present evidence or not.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:36 am

Sean Hayden wrote:If you don't see how the facts in the case contradict the popular framing of what happened then maybe you're not familiar with how it was framed. I will just point out that nearly everyone has changed their understanding as they become acquainted with the facts.

The right thinks he's innocent. I've never held that position.

What's with you types that need to dismiss everyone as right or left? What I've said stands on its own and can be accepted or not regardless of political leanings.
I didn't say you were right or left. I said that you and the right are seemingly employing a similar tactic.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:43 am

Cool. The right has an agenda. I'm just triggered by crazy. :tea:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:59 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:14 am
You're doing the gaslighting thing here. You've now invented a hero narrative absent any evidence and would like me to ignore both what we know they did, what they were all doing, and what their past might mean for their involvement.

No thanks. I'm not going to ignore the evidence and what I know about life to help you out here. You can either present evidence or not.
You are the one assuming that their criminal past means that their shooter wasn't as liable as if they were totally innocent.

Or perhaps if they were white...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:04 am

The victims were white.

His liability is tied to his decision to take the law into his own hands. Theirs is in behaving like violent thugs.

--//--

I wonder if people are under the impression that only one side had a right to be there. This does seem a lot like a territorial dispute for some --old school too, as in intruder bad, we can do no wrong.

aufbahrung

Post by aufbahrung » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:24 am

Humans shouldn't be allowed guns...you don't train chimps to use guns and they are smarter than humans 90% of the time.
WeAreAStableCountry

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:39 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:04 am
His liability is tied to his decision to take the law into his own hands. Theirs is in behaving like violent thugs.
Behaving like violent thugs is Rittenhouse's liability too. It is the result of him brandishing an assault style rifle in their midst.

Sean Hayden wrote:
I wonder if people are under the impression that only one side had a right to be there. This does seem a lot like a territorial dispute for some --old school too, as in intruder bad, we can do no wrong.
Is there anyone in this forum whose posts give you that impression?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:13 am

Got to say, how stupid do you need to be to attack a guy with a gun?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:16 am

Hermit wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:39 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
Behaving like violent thugs is Rittenhouse's liability too. It is the result of him brandishing an assault style rifle in their midst.

Sean Hayden wrote:
Is there anyone in this forum whose posts give you that impression?
That's a great point Hermit and at a peaceful protest it would obliterate --in my opinion-- any notion of self-defense.

--//--

I don't like the police carrying everywhere, and I think this is a major blindspot of the boomer right who always liked to point to the lack of men with assault rifles patrolling the streets in the US as evidence of our freedoms....
Last edited by Sean Hayden on Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:36 am

The overwhelming majority of the various BLM protests were peaceful. What stoked this particular fire was right-wing political rhetoric that sought to delegitimise the protests, sit-ins, marches, and vigils, and to sideline the issues that inspired them, by casting them as the work of unpatriotic, politically dubious, violent extremists - such that every protest was a riot and every protestor therefore a rioter. It's in this particular context that Rittenhouse's actions appear justifiable even if it doesn't marry with the facts on the ground in his particular case.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:42 pm

Rhetoric does not excuse riots.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:47 pm

Indeed. Nor does calling BLM protestors radical marxists justify heavy-handed policing methods or 'citizen vigilantes' etc.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:50 pm

Not much discussion of white folks murdered at the Christmas parade by black BLM supporter who rapped about having an AK 47 and hating Trump. But hell, he's black, so he's entitled to kill a few kids and retired white people, eh? I mean, slavery and Jim Crow and all that shit.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.