Only in America

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Only in America

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:08 pm

pErvin wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
pErvin wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
pErvin wrote:I think the point is to put the relative danger in perspective. Attempt to get those who are driven by fear to try and get some perspective.
Body counts are not the only way to assess relative danger. The potential damage is a factor when analyzing risk. A .001 percent chance of another 9/11 style attack is worth more investment than a 1% chance of a slip and fall, because of a view of the consequences. Let's call the damage from a slip and fall death at, say $1,000,000 for a round number, and let's call the expected damage from a 9/11 style attack as like $15 billion just for infrastructure, with 3,000 lives, and let's call them each a $1,000,000 too, so that's like $18 billion dollars right there. So, even if we limit the damages caused by a 9/11 attack to a million per person and the property damage directly caused (not factoring in long term losses, the effect on the economy overall, etc.), its far more important to stop the highly speculative, but highly damaging 9/11 type attack.
Most people's fears aren't driven by costs. They are driven by harm. People need to understand that you are far more likely to die from thousands of other things than terrorism. Therefore spending so much effort and time fearing an unlikely event is irrational.
That's got little to do with what government policy should be on the matter,
Who's talking about government policy? As usual it is pointless trying to discuss anything with you.
I was. http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 5#p1701440 You responded immediately thereafter. :tup:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:17 pm

Oh ffs. I was explaining Tero's point to you. Tero never said anything about government.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:49 pm

I did. And, that's what I was talking about. You responded immediately after my post and you did not indicate that you were responding to anyone else. Just stop it with the shtick....
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:03 pm

I literally referred to "the point" that was being made by Tero. :fp:
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:26 pm

pErvin wrote:I literally referred to "the point" that was being made by Tero. :fp:
You didn't mention Tero. You referred to what you thought the point was. The post is there, right below mine in the link I just provided a couple posts up. Stop it, man...just stop.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:31 pm

I really don't understand how you function. You turn straightforward English into something entirely different. You even just made my point for me in your second sentence now. No doubt you can't see it, though. :ddpan:

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:39 pm

I was talking to an old fart at our congressman's town hall. Mainly because my wife was tied up talking public transportation to someone. Anyway, thr guy was very polite, about 70, potbellied. However, when he had his turn, it was just like listening to 42. I was only able to manipulate the conversation by changing subjects. A tried and true method.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:40 pm

pErvin, this is ridiculous. You asked who was talking about government action. I told you I was. I showed you where I was, and I showed you where you responded right after my post. I don't care who you were intended to respond to - you didn't specify. However, the point stands, I was talking about what I was talking about and you were responding to me. That's what I was talking about, if you weren't, so be it. But, conversations are not limited to only that which pErvin is talking about.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:47 pm

Forty Two wrote:pErvin, this is ridiculous. You asked who was talking about government action. I told you I was. I showed you where I was, and I showed you where you responded right after my post. I don't care who you were intended to respond to - you didn't specify. However, the point stands, I was talking about what I was talking about and you were responding to me. That's what I was talking about, if you weren't, so be it. But, conversations are not limited to only that which pErvin is talking about.
:fp: Of course I was responding to you. I was pointing out how you were interpreting Tero's post wrong. "The point" was Tero's, AS YOU YOURSELF SAID IN YOUR LAST POST. :fp: And my question "who's talking about government" was rhetorical, as clearly you were and clearly I was trying to make the point to you that Tero never said anything about government. So your replies were non-sequiturs. FFS, this is basic English and it's why there is no point debating you.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:20 pm

pErvin wrote:
Forty Two wrote:pErvin, this is ridiculous. You asked who was talking about government action. I told you I was. I showed you where I was, and I showed you where you responded right after my post. I don't care who you were intended to respond to - you didn't specify. However, the point stands, I was talking about what I was talking about and you were responding to me. That's what I was talking about, if you weren't, so be it. But, conversations are not limited to only that which pErvin is talking about.
:fp: Of course I was responding to you. I was pointing out how you were interpreting Tero's post wrong. "The point" was Tero's, AS YOU YOURSELF SAID IN YOUR LAST POST. :fp:
Look, Tero did not specify either way what he was talking about when he posted the article about toddlers, I responded to the toddler post directing my thought at the allocation of resources. That is one aspect of what the toddler article might involve. That's what I addressed, and then Tero and I had a back and forth. I don't really care what you think the main point was, or what you think Tero's point was in raising the toddler/gun article in the first place. I'm not limited by what you or he want to talk about.

pErvin wrote: And my question "who's talking about government" was rhetorical,
Who gives a fuck what you are questioning? I was talking about government and the allocation of resources -- among other things. Fuck off.
pErvin wrote: as clearly you were and clearly I was trying to make the point to you that Tero never said anything about government. So your replies were non-sequiturs. FFS, this is basic English and it's why there is no point debating you.
In his initial post on the toddler article, he provided no meaningful comment or suggestion of what the article would mean other than as a statement of fact. True, he said nothing about government. I did. That's why I said, in response to your question, that that's what I was talking about. My replies were not "non sequiturs" because he hadn't made an argument. He posted an article. I did not, therefore, draw a conclusion that didn't follow from his argument. I proposed a new argument based on the post about the toddler shootings.

This is his post - http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 0#p1701360 No argument. No suggestion of what it means or why he posted it. Just "toddlers v terrorists" and a quote from the article, and link. Three or four people posted funny comments, and then I responded to the article suggesting an argument about what western countries should do with that kind of information. That was my argument. That's what I was talking about. I was not countering any argument made by Tero because he had merely posted an article discussing a statistic on toddler shootings. I did not argue that he was wrong. I used the information posted to create an actual point to discuss.

You don't want to talk about it, fine? You don't think it's what Tero had in mind when posting it? Fine. But, that does not limit my ability to create a discussion path, for the love of fucking god.

Look - by your logic, nobody should post anything about the article -- since tero just posted the article, with ZERO COMMENT OR ARGUMENT OR DISCUSSION - it's obvious Tero just wanted to make everyone aware of the statistic. And, since all he was doing was just stating a fact with a link, then that's all anyone else can do with it, because Tero sets the limits of discussion on a point of fact he posts. Especially in a wide-ranging thread entitled "Only in America" which he did not create, and you did not create....

Criminy, dude... you are so weird. Fuck. Tero posted an article. It's open for discussion. I opened a line of discussion. Your contribution - as is common shtick for you - is not to discuss it, but to jump in, piss all over it, and start screaming and bleating about how it shouldn't be discussed, or how it wasn't someone else's point, or it's been explained before so there shouldn't be any more discussion. Fuck off, man. If you don't want to talk about it, don't. But, you aren't the fucking police of this board, and you're not the arbiter of what discussion streams can be gone down.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:33 am

Only you could butcher the English language this much to try and maintain that black is white. I seriously wonder how it is you even make it through a day with such a bizarre understanding of the world around you. :?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:42 pm

Amanda happily target shooting in 2012 in case Obama or Hillary stop by:

ByAmanda on April 14, 2012
Style: UpClose 20-60x60|Verified Purchase
Upon receiving the scope I was suprised at the size. Its actually pretty small. BUT- it is packaged nicely. It came in its original packaging,and was also inside a soft case inside a hard latched case. The coating that has been put on the entire scope is nice. It provides a comfortable grip and protects the scope itself. My husband and I took it to the range to shoot our m4 and AR15. We were both very impressed at its zoom capability. We were able to CLEARLY see the impact sight on a 25 meter 50 meter and 100 meter target. Obviously you can't see the impact sight further out at 800m and 1000m , but were able to zoom in close enough that it felt like 100 m target. The tripod,that also comes with it, has a ridged coating over it and is easily attachable to the scope .

Spotting scope lies in ditch, discarded after last practice

Amanda: "target practice just is no fun anymore."
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:46 pm

In English?

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:08 pm

pErvin wrote:Only you could butcher the English language this much to try and maintain that black is white.
Well it is. Black is an extremely dark shade of white.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4