Research shows kids less safe in gun-free schools

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Re: Research shows kids less safe in gun-free schools

Post by FBM » Sun May 25, 2014 9:57 am

Tyrannical wrote:I once heard, and it was before my time, that teen age students could bring guns to school so they could hunt after school.
When I was in high school, it was no big deal to drive your pickup with a full rifle rack to school or anywhere else. Rather, it was kind of expected. :FBM:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun May 25, 2014 9:09 pm

Tyrannical wrote:I once heard, and it was before my time, that teen age students could bring guns to school so they could hunt after school.
That was certainly the case in rural Australia in times gone by. (mostly .22 rifles to pot bunnies on the way home)

And of course it has nothing whatsoever with the OP...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sun May 25, 2014 9:29 pm

I took my .22 rifle and ammunition to school every week for NRA-sponsored marksmanship training on the indoor shooting range at my elementary school for three years starting when I was 10.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sun May 25, 2014 9:31 pm

Hermit wrote:
Seth wrote:
Hermit wrote: Fact: Thread title claims "Research shows kids less safe in gun-free schools" Study purportedly "destroys the left’s argument against putting more guns in schools".
Fact: No massacres in Australian schools. Ever.
Fact: No guns are routinely carried by any teacher or staff in Australian schools. Ever.

You need to do some reading on the difference between fact and specious assumption.
You need to do some reading on the difference between correlation and causation.
I already have read your dictionary. It says: When something suits Seth, it's causation. When it doesn't, it's correlation.
Irrelevant. You have not shown any causative link, only correlation, and you blatantly ignore the obvious fact that just because something hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't or can't happen. Port Arthur proves that mass shootings can happen even in Australia. It's only a matter of time before it happens again, perhaps in a school like the one in Dunblane, Scotland, where again "gun-free" only meant "nobody but the bad guy has a gun...and he knows it."
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun May 25, 2014 11:29 pm

Seth wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Seth wrote:
Hermit wrote: Fact: Thread title claims "Research shows kids less safe in gun-free schools" Study purportedly "destroys the left’s argument against putting more guns in schools".
Fact: No massacres in Australian schools. Ever.
Fact: No guns are routinely carried by any teacher or staff in Australian schools. Ever.

You need to do some reading on the difference between fact and specious assumption.
You need to do some reading on the difference between correlation and causation.
I already have read your dictionary. It says: When something suits Seth, it's causation. When it doesn't, it's correlation.
:broken:
Would someone nearby please give the tonearm a nudge?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Citizensmith
About me: Mostly harmless

Post by Citizensmith » Thu May 29, 2014 4:36 am

Seth wrote:
Citizensmith wrote:
Seth wrote:
LucidFlight wrote:
Citizensmith wrote:Well that model would explain why there has never been any shooting deaths at military bases.
Oh wait.
Actually, if the research is correct, one could argue that a military base is perhaps the safest place to educate kids.
Not really, at least here in the US, because since the Clinton administration soldiers (not even officers) have been allowed to carry personal firearms on base, which is why they get shot up with some regularity.
Which is meaningless as the rate of violence on bases has remained about constant and if anything is trending downwards.
It's not meaningless to the soldiers who get shot because they have been disarmed by their Commander in Chief. Or to their families. Or to anyone with any sort of compassion or concern.

Whatever dude, is this overblown gun junk your thing? Lets just ignore reality and repeat some sanctimonious rubbish from and NRA flyer. Hey, I wonder if its meaningless to the families who still have loved ones because rates of gun deaths have dropped on military bases as a result of less people walking around with them. Pity your apparent fantasy of the American hero bravely defending his family from those terrorists isn't what actually happens. Nah, instead a few people a day get angry and/or drunk or just screw up and kill their spouse, kids, a few strangers. But hey, go watch some Schwarzenegger movies or something and keep up your image of how gun violence works in your odd little "reality".
When in Rome, do as the Romans.
(You bring the lions, I'll bring the Christians, the orgy will be afterwards)

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Thu May 29, 2014 9:40 am

Citizensmith wrote: Whatever dude, is this overblown gun junk your thing? Lets just ignore reality and repeat some sanctimonious rubbish from and NRA flyer. Hey, I wonder if its meaningless to the families who still have loved ones because rates of gun deaths have dropped on military bases as a result of less people walking around with them

You have some critically robust scientific evidence of this claim I presume? Or are you, as I suspect, citing ex recto?

Pity your apparent fantasy of the American hero bravely defending his family from those terrorists isn't what actually happens. Nah, instead a few people a day get angry and/or drunk or just screw up and kill their spouse, kids, a few strangers. But hey, go watch some Schwarzenegger movies or something and keep up your image of how gun violence works in your odd little "reality".
Pity you don't know what you're talking about and the upwards of two million people per year who lawfully use their guns to prevent and thwart crime and apprehend criminals are better informed than you are. But that's no real surprise.

piscator

Post by piscator » Thu May 29, 2014 10:38 pm

Seth wrote: Pity you don't know what you're talking about and the upwards of two million people per year who lawfully use their guns to prevent and thwart crime and apprehend criminals are better informed than you are. But that's no real surprise.

What happens to that 2 million number when you take the cops and other armed forces of the planet out of the reckoning? :whistle:

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Fri May 30, 2014 12:03 am

piscator wrote:
Seth wrote: Pity you don't know what you're talking about and the upwards of two million people per year who lawfully use their guns to prevent and thwart crime and apprehend criminals are better informed than you are. But that's no real surprise.

What happens to that 2 million number when you take the cops and other armed forces of the planet out of the reckoning? :whistle:
It remains two million or so private citizens in the US every year. The rest of the planet's law-abiding civilian population is pretty much completely fucked because of jackasses like you who think that disarming them will reduce crime.

Citizensmith
About me: Mostly harmless

Post by Citizensmith » Fri May 30, 2014 3:34 am

Seth wrote:Pity you don't know what you're talking about and the upwards of two million people per year who lawfully use their guns to prevent and thwart crime and apprehend criminals are better informed than you are. But that's no real surprise.
You have some critically robust scientific evidence of this claim I presume? Or are you, as I suspect, citing ex recto?
When in Rome, do as the Romans.
(You bring the lions, I'll bring the Christians, the orgy will be afterwards)

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Fri May 30, 2014 10:31 pm

Citizensmith wrote:
Seth wrote:Pity you don't know what you're talking about and the upwards of two million people per year who lawfully use their guns to prevent and thwart crime and apprehend criminals are better informed than you are. But that's no real surprise.
Yes, I do. Kleck, Lott, DOJ, et al.

You can do the rest of the homework.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:22 pm

Citizensmith wrote:
No. No he doesn't.