Historical Conundrum , do you know where I should search?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Historical Conundrum , do you know where I should search?

Post by Svartalf » Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:57 pm

OK, so I'm reading old piratical comics, and I've stumbled on a detail that I don't think was made up, but that wikipedia can tell me nothing about... if I had my Sid Meier's pirates I'd check the piratopedia just in case, but I don't know when, if ever I'll get that back....

My mystery is, in the first half of the XVIII century (say, 1730-1740) a port town by the name of Ciudad Real, that I can't find any trace of... I assume it would be on the coast of the gulf of mexico, some latitude North of the Yucatan.

Now, I can't find the place on maps or whatever, and I wonder where I could search to see if that town would have changed names since, or if it's really an sheer invention, though that feels off for this work, the invented bits are usually rather obvious.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: Historical Conundrum , do you know where I should search?

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:49 pm

Is it possibly a fictionalisation of Port Royal?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:02 pm

Nope, if it was Jamaica, it would have said so... the more I think, the more I wonder if the place is not totally fictional, but the vibes are off, why invent a location when there must be at least a dozen ports on the proper coast?

For instance, in another book, they used Matagorda, TX as the place, and I expected THAT one to be fictional.

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:56 pm

A little more context might be helpful.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:00 pm

Ciudad Real II Map - Neighborhood - Dominican Republic
https://mapcarta.com › ... › Dominican Republic
Ciudad Real II is a neighborhood in Dominican Republic. Ciudad Real II is situated nearby to Carmen Maria and Los Girasoles II. Mapcarta, the open map.
Towards 1540, "the Adelantado" assigned Lorenzo de Godoy to install the first garrison in San Pedro de Champotón, which they maintained with many difficulties, since they did not have people or soldiers. Montejo "the Nephew" helped keep the garrison and changed its name to "Salamanca de Champotón". "The Adelantado" arrived in Ciudad Real de Chiapa (San Cristóbal de las Casas), in 1540, and from there he gave instructions to Francisco Gil to be in charge of Champotón's position and thus "El Mozo" and "the Nephew" would begin the advance north. In 1546, when the conquest of Yucatan seemed to be over, "the Adelantado" and his wife traveled to San Francisco de Campeche to meet with his son "El Mozo" and "El Nephew". The Maya had organized in secret, and on the night of November 8 to 9 (5 Cimi 19 Xul, death and end of the Mayan calendar) a great rebellion broke out. "El Mozo" and "el Sobrino" would once again take up arms to "reconquer" the peninsula and submit the rebellions a year later.[8]
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:24 pm

In the Dominican republic, that is Hispaniola? That's a lot more east than I expected, but it could be it.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:29 pm

rasetsu wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:56 pm
A little more context might be helpful.
I gave you all the available context. a Spanish port town named ciudad real in the 1700s, that is located North (and likely straight north) of the Yucatan peninsula.

what more do you need, that I recount you the story? I warrant that I could not extract any more data from that book.