America's History Fibs

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: America's History Fibs

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:41 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:59 pm
:hehe: ...these guys don't actually know what's taught in US schools.

It's not the first time I've encountered this either. We often get Europeans who think Americans understand American/Indian relations at about the kindergarten level for example.

Why is that?
Concisely put.

George Washington really couldn't tell a lie, and the cherry tree story is really true. He really did threw a silver dollar across the Potomac River. He really had wooden teeth!

Come on folks. Every culture has myths and legends and lore.

The silver dollar legend is funnier too because the legend evolved too - the guy who wrote the story did not say it was the Potomac, he said it was the Rappahannock River. LOL. Basically, it's legend from a kernel of truth where people are said to have tested their strength throwing rocks across the Rappahannock, which not many people cold do. Not sure if that bit is even "true."

But, oh, those silly, stupid Americans... we go to high school and college and learn a series of lies.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:46 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:59 pm
:hehe: ...these guys don't actually know what's taught in US schools.

It's not the first time I've encountered this either. We often get Europeans who think Americans understand American/Indian relations at about the kindergarten level for example.

Why is that?
What? :o I mean, I've got a nuncle who's about 50 some or early 60s, mix of new yorker and californian, I'm not sure even this former hippie is among the few who actually understand US/Amerind relations and history...

sweet ghosts of Little Big Horn and Wounded Knee...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:29 pm

What percentage of French "actually understand" French colonial history. No glossing over of French empire stuff? You think they tell the story of their relationship with Britain the same way British pop culture and children's history tell it?

Do they think the French Revolution was started by a peasant revolt against the "Let Them Eat Cake" class? Or do they know all about the financial crisis which led to state bankruptcy, loss of confidence in the monarchy, political destabilization and many nobles and elite class folks rebelling?

Do they know Marie never said "Let them Eat Cake" or anything like that? Do they recognize that Marie leaked French battle plans to the invading Austrians, hoping that the French armies would lose and the monarchy would be restored?

Legends of the importance of the storming of the Bastilles?

Robespierre! Robespierre!

Let's pick some random Frenchman and see how deep his knowledge goes, and then claim that the entire culture has been hoodwinked by nefarious forces white-washing the historical record.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:36 pm

A "nuncle"? Very Vlaams (nonkel).
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:06 pm

The French have had to develop some real whoppers to gloss over the German occupation...for example.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:08 pm

well, Marshal Pétain was a genius while he was possessed by extraterrestrial intelligences, but when they left his brains turned to jell o
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:14 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:48 pm
I can't refute the person's allegations, but it's not as if I have ever said that racism is nonexistent. Of course there are racists out there. What I said was that the general culture in the US is not to tolerate that stuff, and to look down on racists, and to fire racists, and hound them out of positions of authority. We just had Watson stripped of his honors and position because he said he thinks that intelligence is partly genetic and that certain races have different IQs.
Some progressive idiots claim racism is 'rampant' or some inflammatory description, but they won't apply a standard of any kind. Won't say which country is most, and which is least 'racist'. Won't say which country is the best place to be a minority, or which has the best 'diversity' approach. If they did name a target, people could actually meet it.

You can't have that. What the 'Racial-Justice-Warriors' want is unending apologies and cringing.

Like the feminists, or progressives. You simply can't do enough, and it's probably racist to ask what they mean by 'enough'.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:51 pm

Watched the last of these (there were three in all) and it was by far the best. She covered the ‘golden’ decade of the 50s and the rise of America to the world’s premier power, including the fear and paranoia that drove it. A good look at the Cold War and the ‘military industrial complex that made the whole process white hot. A chilling scene inside a missile bunker doing a role play of launching an attack.

Worth catching if you can.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:15 pm

YouTube has been pulling them down shortly after they get uploaded, but some of the British History's Biggest Fibs episodes can be found. I wasn't paying attention; perhaps some English nationalists brayed like wounded jackasses when they came out. Ms. Worsley rocks.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:20 pm

The British would never get in a tizzy over someone presenting raw history which goes in the face of their lionized view.

Or would they...?

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:31 pm

Rum wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:51 pm
Watched the last of these (there were three in all) and it was by far the best. She covered the ‘golden’ decade of the 50s and the rise of America to the world’s premier power, including the fear and paranoia that drove it. A good look at the Cold War and the ‘military industrial complex that made the whole process white hot. A chilling scene inside a missile bunker doing a role play of launching an attack.

The cold war didn't happen [/Dutchy]
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:12 pm

What was interesting was the snippet about the 'Cuban Missile Crisis' which was 'blown-up' into 'evil Russia threatening the US of A'. It turned out to be nothing more than Kruschev objecting to American missiles on the Turkish border pointing at Russia. So he applied 'Tit-for-Tat' in Cuba. It worked. America removed their Turkish missiles.
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:12 pm

Showing that the US have been getting played by Russia long before President Fuckwit.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:34 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:31 pm
Rum wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:51 pm

The cold war didn't happen [/Dutchy]
Well did it? It happened for the American arms industry and for the GOP. The rest was pure scaremongering. Social democracy had to be killed off and the greatest tool; NATO. NATO never achieved anything except spend a lots of European money buying weapons they never needed which would have been spent on health, education and social services but the was not going to allowed by our American masters.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:39 pm

Alan B wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:12 pm
What was interesting was the snippet about the 'Cuban Missile Crisis' which was 'blown-up' into 'evil Russia threatening the US of A'. It turned out to be nothing more than Kruschev objecting to American missiles on the Turkish border pointing at Russia. So he applied 'Tit-for-Tat' in Cuba. It worked. America removed their Turkish missiles.
That is all it was. I mean which person in their right mind would ever press "The Button". We cant move to World mk2.
America is such a disaster.Just greed and more greed.