Sharia courts may have helped bring down the Ottoman Empire

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:49 am

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 94891.html

Sharia courts’ bias towards wealthy Muslim men during the Ottoman Empire may have contributed to its downfall, according to a major study of nearly 200 years of case records.

An American economist looked at rulings handed out between 1602 and 1799 and noticed the judges’ efforts to help people “considered worthy of support” had a significant "unintended consequence".

Because Ottoman elites could rely on support from the courts during contract disputes, they had to pay significantly higher rates of interest on loans than women, non-Muslims and the poor, who were less likely to default because they would face legal punishment.

This, Professor Timur Kuran argued in a paper in the Economic Journal, had a stifling effect on investment at a time when the Industrial Revolution was taking off in Europe.

He added that laws in Western countries had a similar effect today, but on a different section of society. Because the law protects poor people from their creditors, they are sometimes forced to go to pay-day loan sharks charging extortionate rates whereas wealthier people can get rates of just a few per cent, he said..

(continued)
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Sharia courts may have helped bring down the Ottoman Emp

Post by Forty Two » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:10 pm

This sounds like complete and utter bollocks.

An American economist looked at rulings from 1602 to 1799, and concluded that an empire which endured another 118, give or take, years more, was brought down in part by court rulings.

He says that the judges rules indicated that they were helping people "considered worthy of support" - which, of course, means he made an independent assessment as to whether or not judges were only helping those considered worthy of support. The opinions didn't say, outright, that the judge was rulling in favor of the elite because they were elite. And, there is no indication in the study that the judges were making the wrong rulings, and should have been ruling the opposite of what they ruled.

Then there is the bizarre comment that the "elites" could rely on favorable court rules, so the lenders were charging the "elites" higher interest rates than WOMEN and the POOR. LOL. Forgive me if I don't take the word of the author of the article on that. "The Poor" get lower rates than the "elites?" That sounds ridiculous on its face. The poor have no collateral, that's why they pay higher rates. You also can't get blood from a rock, so that's why the rock pays higher rates. And, as far as women go, I would love to see the data on the number of loans in 17th and 18th century Arabia and Turkey made to women. LOL. I'm sure they were involved in high finance in 1680 -- venture capitalist Muslim women, borrowing mountains of Ottoman lira...

Be careful not to step in the bullshit...
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:55 pm

I'm convinced it is muslimic sharia cunts to blame. How can you start again after a business failure if they've chopped a hand off? Basically over-punitive for when things go wrong so the creative innovators stick to interesting tile pattterns....that's how I read it anyway. :read:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Post by Galaxian » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:49 pm

Crumple wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 94891.html

Sharia courts’ bias towards wealthy Muslim men during the Ottoman Empire may have contributed to its downfall, according to a major study of nearly 200 years of case records.
(continued)
The guy is a snake-oil salesman. Simplistic answer to a convoluted situation. Very common in ivory towers. :zilla:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian